Saturday, April 5, 2008

Goodnight, My Love...

"Blue Matryoshka"
5" x 7"
Acrylic on wood.
for Gallery Nucleus's "Power in Numbers 3" Group show.

Wow. This week. I finished this painting in two days, then my sister and I went to the Hive Gallery for two afternoons to set up an installation for my wall. When I post photos of it, I'll go into more detail about what she made, but let's just say that I probably would have a naked wall if it wasn't for her help on this! She made 99.9% of the installation possible!

It was therapeutic hanging the work on the walls and creating the space. It was equally therapeutic spending all of yesterday cleaning my workspace at home. I threw away dozens of old paintbrushes, tons of papers/drawings/junk that had accumulated under my desk, and I organized everything else. My desk is unrecognizable.

Then I spent the last few hours of the day drawing from photographs, something I haven't done in ages. I find that therapeutic as well, and it felt so good to practice rendering different objects with pencil. My sister and I have been listening to Oscar Wilde's "The Picture of Dorian Gray," read by the incredible Michael Page. It is one of the best things I've ever read/been read. We have a couple chapters left I think...I can't wait for the ending.

So, the opening at the Hive is tonight, and I'm looking forward to having a wonderful time. It feels weird, because for months, I've been one of the group show artists, gawking at the huge featured artists' walls, and now I can't believe that I have one of those walls to myself. Nathan Cartwright was the first curator to offer me a featured show (this was back in July of last year), and I can't believe the day has finally come. He, and this gallery, have come to mean so much to me, so I wish them a HAPPY 3rd YEAR ANNIVERSARY! They now have a fun DVD called Royal Jelly, and featured artist button packs (My Bo-Peep from the postcard will be in the set for this month), which they will be selling tonight and throughout the month. Also, our "Hiveland" portraits will be published in the first Hive publication, which will be a Field Guide to the "Denizens of Hiveland."
Are they cool or what?

Oh, and in case I don't come back here for another week (which is entirely possible), HAPPY BIRTHDAY, UZEYER! His birthday is tomorrow, and I hope he has a fantastic performance up in Portland, lots of fun, and love from family and friends!
Ciao for now.

No comments: