Sunday, September 7, 2008

Long post for a long absence

It's been almost a month since my last post, but quite a bit has happened to slow me down:

It looks like carpal tunnel is rearing its ugly head (to use a hackneyed phrase), so I'm wearing a wrist splint, taking breaks, and trying to teaching my right hand to gesso, do under-painting, and tiny highlights. Luckily though, my fellow painters say it happens to everyone, so it's just something I would have had to deal with sooner or later.

Good news: I'm done with the NY show, and am sending the batch off to photograph!
I did my first ever 18" x 24", which is huge for the miniaturist-me, so it took three weeks to finish. Funny that it also took me three weeks back in March to finish my then-largest, 15"x 20". Maybe that's a standard or something!

To make a long story longer, I'm about a month behind on the Corey Helford show, so I've had some plan-changes in order to keep the amount of detail that I want in each. And also to be able to take my time on each piece : ) I started the first one this week, and it's going pretty good. I admit that I botched one CHG painting that I had started last month. Wasn't feeling it, so I sanded it down and re-gessoed to save panels. It happens a lot. I'll have a batch of drawings ready to paint, and then a few weeks later I'll dump the entire thing, or make size changes, or rework half. I used to consider that a bad thing, but now I'm thankful because it makes the final pieces that much better than the first round would have been!

Thanks to all of you who have expressed interest in prints: I'll be releasing very limited editions of 3 or 4 different pieces in early October. Otis is turning 90, so we're having an alumni gallery show at Meltdown Comics in Hollywood on October 4th! Unfortunately, no originals from me, but the good news is that the prints are coming : )
There will be one framed print for each piece, and the rest will be available for purchase unframed. More details later, but let me tell you: the first proof came in this week, and it looks fantastic!

I'll put up more previews for the NY show once the hi-res files come in, so until next time...

No comments: