Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Also.


"Her Lingering Shadow"
14" x 18"
Acrylic on wood.

Here is my piece for Lola’s SuperSchool Group show at Copro Nason Gallery (now/soon to be known as Copro Gallery, though I’m not sure when the transition is happening).

As I told my flickr people, this painting is based on Nancy from the Oliver Twist novel by Charles Dickens. It strikes me that people mostly remember the male characters in that story, yet she was the most interesting out of all them to me. For those of you who haven’t read the novel, it’s much darker than the 1968 film-musical. It’s set in the London slums of the 19th Century Industrial Revolution, and tells the story of the street children who are forced into lives of crime. Nancy was one such casualty, but interestingly attempts to save Oliver from this sort of life and loses her life in the process. There’s so much more to her than that, but I could write a whole essay on her if I start, haha. I’m fascinated by tragic heroines. And even though she wasn’t meant to be the heroine in the novel, I think she sort of become one. Dickens was even denounced by some for making a prostitute into a character that they could sympathize with.

So two openings this week—unfortunately I’m really backtracked on this next painting, so I won’t be able to make the San Francisco one. I’m really bummed about that, because the 4 other artists will all be there, and that was my chance to meet them all. Curses, curses. Unfortunately my sloth-like painting process rarely agrees with my intentions to leave the studio. Hopefully I’ll make up for that by attending the Superschool opening, at least that's the plan.

I’ve rambled long enough, but here are a few links...
Juxtapoz, Arrested Motion. A few of these blog sites that like posting a ton of images of each artist’s work (old work included), in no chronological order…Wicked Halo, The Chive, Taringa. Then we've got Fashion Indie, Hugo Strikes Back!, and Lis’s blog. If it weren't for the people who bring these sites to my attention, I don't know how I would have found out that these folks took the time to post some of my work for their communities. Thanks!

9 comments:

Tom said...

Wow this one is so amazing! Wish I could see it in person in SF

Tom said...

Wait this one's for the one in LA. Cool I could see this one in person!

Mia said...

Yeah, maybe I'll see you there? :)

Cubist Comix said...

Great piece, Mia. I would love to attend the next time that you have an reception in the Bay area. Talk to you soon.

Tom said...

Man I just had so much to do Saturday. So bummed I couldn't make it up there. I bet Lola's stuff was amazing to see too. See you April 4th hopefully? I wonder what you have in store for that show!

MARY said...

AMAZING!!!!I love your work ;D
Kisses!!!

Mia said...

Thanks Salvador!

Hi Tom, no worries! I hope you can make it out on the 4th :) I will be showing the largest painting I've ever done!! Yikes..

Thank you Mary, glad you like it :)
xxx

Spicy Green Burrito said...

I love the effect of the blood and bruising on her eyes... wow... so powerful and dramatic.

Mia said...

thanks monica, glad you liked that detail : )