Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Hello, hello

Since it's been a while, I thought I'd share some drawings I've been working on. They started off being inspired by a Native American theme, as I've been listening to the enchanting music of Mariee Sioux; her sound and lyrics are equally haunting and spellbinding. Since some of you seemed to enjoy reading the last post, I'll explain the thought-process and stories of each piece when I post the final paintings.


I've painted the above drawing already, I just don't have a good hi-res image of the final piece yet. I'm going to paint the bottom-most drawing, but probably not the second one for now...we'll see. I mean, I like the simplicity of it, but I might change a few things in it if I do paint it.





^ This one was inspired by a friend's self-portrait as she was kind enough to let me use her as a model :) I'll post her photos and links with the final painting.

Drawings are quick, so the above is perhaps a week's worth of work. The rest of the time, I've been working on the largest painting I've ever done to date (I know I say that a lot, but it's because I keep going up in size :) This one will be 4 feet wide and 3 feet tall, and I'll be lucky to finish by the end of September. I've already pulled half a dozen all-nighters on it, and I'll probably be doing a lot more of those this month. More details soon on that painting, and the 3-day New York group show I'm going to be in. Any of you who are New-Yorkers, well actually anyone who wants to get on the preview list/request more info on that show, please contact Beau from Lebasse Projects. He's curating the show: contact@lebasseprojects.com

I'll try to post more often...every other week, maybe even once a week. Depending on Father Time, I'll share some process shots, random inspirational photos I'm looking at or things I discover in my backyard, maybe some rough sketches. Stay tuned for things!

7 comments:

Heidi A. said...

Oh Mia, those drawings are wonderful. I can't wait to see the final result. They'll be gorgeous.

Thomas Lynch III said...

beautiful mia! any chance of seeing the WIP of the big one?? can't wait to see the new ones

zoe said...

oh, please please make a painting of that second one! she's gorgeous, and the skull shapes at the bottom are fantastic. the "space" of it could be fascinating painted, and i like the title... :)
i'm glad things are going so well for you. lebasse is another good one, congratulations!

andrealynn said...

I'm always real excited to see what you are working on. You are a inspiration!

Lady Lavona said...

Wow! I can't wait to see the finished paintings! She is like a Priestess of Artemis...which I'm all about these days!

Mia said...

thanks everyone for the nice comments :)

Thomas: I will post up some bad-quality process shots soon ^____^

andrealynn said...

I'm so amazed by these as I am all the time with your work, can't wait to see them in paintings! They'll be georgeous I just know it