Monday, December 14, 2009

Sketches

Occasionally I like to pull out my reference folders and do lighting studies or just practice drawing straight from photos. It's fun and therapeautic to focus on the lines and forms...I did dozens of these drawings this past week, but thought I'd share some here, since I rarely post sketches.


Did this one in the waiting room at the dentist while waiting for my sister. It was off of a fashion ad of some kind.


A couple of somnambulists...


Sketching some ancient serpent jewelry, and a beautiful fountain-statue from a huge book on Pompeii that my sister owns.


Just another light study from a Corbis image.


I think I'll do some similar studies with acrylics, amid last minute Christmas-shopping and gift-wrapping this week. I'm also conceptualizing for my next two pieces which will be part of the March show at CoproGallery. In that show, I will be in 'Gallery 3,' alongside the Hi-Fructose exhibition, Michael Page, and Eric Fortune. 2010 will be pretty light in number of shows (and paintings), as I'll be focusing on larger works only. I want to try new things, and hopefully include some writing alongside my September Corey Helford show (for that show, I will be alongside the awesome Krista Huot!). We'll see. More details soon!

4 comments:

Patrick said...

Love these sketches ! Especially the woman with the giant flower on here head.

Heidi Alamanda said...

Loving your sketches, Mia.They're wonderful. I also like the woman with the giant flower:)

zoe said...

i love the somnambulists :)

JANEY said...

hello~nice to meet u..............................