Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Date Change, and then some



Due to the volcano in Iceland, the opening date of the "Art From the New World" group show in Bristol has been pushed back to May 15th (see above flyer, art by the fabulous Korin Faught). This article from the BBC will tell you the same thing, but it features the stunning piece that Sas Christian is contributing to the show!

Alas then, a couple more weeks before I can share my painting with you. But at least that gives me some more time to write about my thought process and inspiration behind it :)

In other news, I've already come up with a concept for my upcoming September show at Corey Helford Gallery, and I'm a couple of weeks into my first painting for it! However, I'm also making it a rule to set aside some time for studies and practice sketches from now on. Sketchbooks both scare and thrill me, but I find that if I set aside an hour each day to loosen up and practice on all of the things I need to work on, I can slowly warm up to the process and focus on the fun aspect. It's really not as scary as I make it sound. It's just a matter of convincing myself that working on practice stuff is NOT a waste of time, even though I'm not working on final pieces (it's all mental, see). I'm also finally coming round to doing painting studies again, and trying stuff out with them. Nothing worthy of sharing, but enough to assure me that I'm slowly making steps in the right direction. Hurrah for small victories!

Anyway, one of my guilty pleasures is drawing from the work of artists that I admire and from photographs, as studies. So here are a couple of pages I did recently, mostly after Mucha, Klimt, and various vintage photos:





My drawings are usually very sketchy and loose, involving many lines. So I've been trying to focus on cleaner contour drawings, with one strong line. So that was Round 1...not too successful as you see, I gave in to the temptation of 'sketchiness' again. Hehe, we'll see how I do on round 2 :)