Sunday, May 1, 2011

Commission

"The River Styx"
each panel is 8.5" x 13"
Graphite and white pencil on toned paper.

Here is a drawing commission triptych that I finished recently, where I was given complete freedom to make what I would of any of the 3 theme suggestions provided, one of which was the 'day of the dead'. So I combined that with the Pied Piper story, and the River Styx of Greek mythology to create this image of a female flautist who leads the souls of the dead into the underworld. A lot of fun to draw, and thrilled that I got to take my time with this one!

3 comments:

H Niyazi said...

Delightful mix of themes Mia! Your work is always astoudning. Thanks for sharing.

H

Tom Bagshaw said...

Beautiful Mia- i understand what you were saying now ;) Funnily enough i was just planning out a 'Charon' type piece for my CHG show! Hows the Strychnin one coming on? ttyl xxx

Mia Araujo said...

Thanks both! :)

Tom: Strychnin piece is up now!
haha, I was planning some 'Midsummer Night's Dream' details into the Corey Helford piece I'm working on now, when you showed me your Titania piece, so we're even! Great minds think alike, as they say ;)
ttys!