Thursday, August 25, 2011

Tom Bagshaw @ Corey Helford Gallery

I don't usually get a chance to get good photos of the shows that I see in person, but I recently went to see my friend Tom Bagshaw's first show at Corey Helford Gallery, alongside David Stoupakis.


Some may be turned off by the fact that he works digitally, but I am on the other side of the aisle- I have just as much respect for digital painters as I do for an oil, acrylic, gouache, or watercolor painter. Each of these mediums can be regarded as being 'easier' to work with, depending on the artist, but each requires just as much skill to handle successfully. In fact, I think digital painters have to work harder to achieve the warmth and life that Tom puts into his paintings..much like computer animators trying to capture the essence of hand-drawings.

To me, the imagery and the feeling I get from it, is what captivates me- regardless of the medium. I have been entranced by Tom's works for more than a year now, and he delivers every time! I was equally impressed by the presentation of his work- the framing and varnishing really pulls you into the piece. I took some detail shots to try to capture the effect, but see for yourself if you are in the area! The show closes this Saturday.














Tom is also starting up an exciting new project called 3Cs- in which he will paint 100 digital portrait studies in 100 hours, over 100 days. The first 100 people to show at the Fine Art Print Company in Bath, UK at noon on the 1st of September will have the honor of being painted by him over the next three and half months! Makes me wish I lived in the South West of England! For more info on how you can get involved, follow the link for the project blog here.

5 comments:

mr arthur said...

these are super cool. like, honestly super cool. not that when i say "super cool", i don't actually mean "super cool", because i do. but yeah, these are super cool.

this might be a stupid question, but which art is by tom and which is by david?

Mia Araujo said...

heh, glad you liked them! These are all Tom's- I believe it's every piece in his portion of the show. I took photos of David's work too, but since Tom is a good friend and this is his first big show in the US, I dedicated this post entirely to his work :)

mr arthur said...

oh really? are they printed on canvas or something? cuz they appear to be very painterly. or did i misinterpret your post? but yeah, i really like the mix of style in some of them. cool idea.

james alexander said...

Maybe the secret to Tom's work lies in what he does, rather than how he does it. Forget digital v. oils or anything else, the man is a poet.

Mia Araujo said...

James: EXACTLY! The digital v. traditional argument is so tired and irrelevant to me- I want to live in the minds of artists like Tom, and his paintings give me a chance to do that for a while.

Arthur: The painterly approach is mainly in his technique (it takes him much longer to achieve that quality), although the high-quality printing and varnish really bring out the colors and give it that 'painterly' feel. It's really quite stunning!