Wednesday, December 7, 2011

"Lush Life 3" Group Show

"Requiem (For the Damaged)"
22" x 30"
Acrylic on wood.

Above is my new piece for Roq la Rue Gallery's 'Lush Life 3' group show, opening this Friday. Below are some detail shots:









There was a lot on my mind while I painted this, so if you're curious, read on:

This piece is dedicated to all people who create during times of social upheaval, war, natural disasters, or any other kind of turmoil. Even though I don’t live in a war-torn country or in the wilderness, fighting each day for survival, I ingest hundreds of stories and perspectives during the course of one painting, in the form of news commentary, political interviews, military documentaries, and podcasts on history, psychology, and anything pertaining to the human condition. It can often become harrowing to listen to all of this while trying to create something that has beauty, magic, and hope.

This is what I imagine it must be like for a creatrix like Demeter or any other embodiment of mother nature, who is destined to create for eternity, while the world responds with death, darkness, and destruction. I wanted to capture the melancholy of a goddess that has come to this realization and ponders her fate and that of the world, the ghosts and demons, the dying and the living. The red stream of fabric in her hands represents life blood- she holds it to her chest with her right hand, as it slips through the fingers of her left. There is a powerful paradox between life and death, between creation and destruction, and though she understands the importance of her role in the balance of the universe, there is a sobering acceptance of the grim reality in her gaze.
Death is everywhere, but so is rebirth and magic, which springs from the darkness of the unknown, from the heart of the cosmos, and makes life worth living, or at least a bit more bearable.

If you made it this far, you get a bit of news: I will be releasing prints of  'Sleeping Sickness' (below) sometime next week, with the option to purchase as a large-sized print or as a mini print. There will be free mini-sketches included with select orders. Check back here, follow me on facebook, or on twitter (@mllemiaaraujo) for updates on that score!


3 comments:

Claudette Anne Pearson said...

absolutely stunning work :))

Mia Araujo said...

thanks very much, Claudette :)

Kristan Burns said...

I really like your work. :]
I wanted to invite you to look at my blog at: http://thefashionadventuresofkristan.blogspot.com/. I hope you enjoy it!